Sunday, April 08, 2007

Tsai Yuan-Pei (蔡元培)

On Thursday (清明節), I went to Tsai Yuan-Pei’s grave again. Actually I went with my extended family to 香港仔華人永遠墳場 to visit my grandparents’ columbarium (靈灰位), and 蔡元培’s grave (墓地) happened to be nearly. He was one of the most revered figures in the early days of the republic, and presided over the University of Beijing for 10 years. During the May 4 movement, he came to the rescue of the students arrested by the government. He moved to Hong Kong in 1938 for treatment on his ailment, died in Hong Kong in 1940 and was buried in 香港仔華人永遠墳場「資」字號地段.

Just as in the past, there were some flowers in one of the pots this year (the picture was actually taken in 2006). But one of the flower pots had fallen down so I put it back upright – I am glad there is a little bit that I can do to show my respect. This year I have taken my whole family there, except my eldest daughter, who was away in a camp. My second daughter courageously tried to read through all the inscriptions.

I am hoping that 蔡元培 continues to be remembered and be a role model for us. Education is much more than administration or even the passing of knowledge. It is not very often these days to have people in prominent positions in education who command high respect with their courage and moral certitude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you cai yuan pei is a great model to follow
Marie