Tuesday, June 05, 2007

六四燭光集會June 4 Candle Light Vigil

They might have been naive. They might have over-stepped some bounds. But they have the courage to demand a more open and democratic China, with more justice and less corruption. They spoke for all of us; and they did not deserve to die. I feel obligated to tell them that I remember them, to show that I care.

I was moved that my whole family was there with me – my wife and my three daughters. My wife and I went to our first June 4-related protest at the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa, Canada before it happened. My eldest daughter, who was born in late 1989, went to her June 4-related protest in her mother’s womb and has been coming to these vigils with me for a number of years. My second daughter has an examination tomorrow, yet she came with us. My youngest daughter is beginning to appreciate what happened.

Take a look at us. We are not just a number. We are real people who care. We are real people with a heart, not just a calculator in hand. Tonight I am proud to be a HongKonger. 今晚我以身為香港人為傲。

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sat on the soccer field. The people around me were "well-behaved", considerate, pensive, and profusely perspiring (at 8 pm, the ground was still hot from the sun.) We were not a roudy group; we didn't show up just for the fun of it.
After the vigil was over at 10 pm, people all helped out to scrape the ground of any leftover wax, and the strong young ones helped move barricades etc. We walked around the fields afterwards, and there was no paper or garbage left around. Litter bins and extra boxes next to them were stuffed with paper etc.
I am proud of all who attended the vigil. The June 4 victims made us proud, and we made them proud of us for the past 18 vigils. Yes, the Chinese people deserve better.

StephenC said...

We met one of the teachers of one of my daughters. An old classmate told me that he was there. Another old classmate living in Los Angeles attended all 18 consecutive annual vigils there. Many friends and colleagues asked me about the event even though they did not or could not go.

The number of people who care about it is much more than those who attended.

A person who committed a crime cannot move on in life unless he confesses of the crime. Likewise China cannot truly move on in history unless this crime is settled.

Anonymous said...

I was also there, and I met one of our BAC classmates, Jon, who was there to help distribute candles for the vigil.

It was my fourth time being there. I started attending the vigils after I learnt from the anti-23 demonstration in 2003 that we need to stand up for what we believe.

StephenC said...

It is a bit surprising but greatly satisfying to see so many young people showing their concern. Many of them were not even born when it happened. Others were probably too young to fully understand what happened and why. Yet you are concerned enough to want to find out and courageous enough to speak up with your presence. You have my utmost respect.