Friday, September 19, 2008

Chicken and Duck Market (雞鴨欄)

When I was small, many many years ago, I wasn’t quite aware of those trees on Forbes Street. To me, it was simply Chicken and Duck Market (雞鴨欄) then, because the street was lined with poultry wholesalers. It was filthy, smelly but fun, choked full of not just chicken and ducks - but also pigeons, quails, ..., and may others I could not name.

We were living in a small brickhouse on a hill side behind Forbes Street. At one point, my father built a wire-mesh cage to raise pigeons. The number of pigeons grew quickly, not just because the were laying eggs, but more because many pigeons that escaped from the stalls on Forbes Street congregated at out place.

By the way, does anyone want to know how to kill a pigeon without seeing blood?


No comments: