Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Salted Grouper (石班鹹魚)

My sister-in-law gave us a foot-and-a-half long salted grouper yesterday. My guess is it is a malabar grouper (花鬼班). I actually went through TsimShaTsui with my daughters afterwards, with the tail of the fish sticking out of a small shopping bag. I was not surprised that more than once people nearby commented on a strange smell; but I was surprised that none of them realized it was simply salted fish.

In the evening, I had to chop it up into smaller pieces. Have you tried to chop up a big salted fish? Believe me, it is hard work.

But my work paid off promptly and fabulously. My wife made “salted fish and chicken fried rice” (鹹魚雞粒炒飯) with a piece of the fish today and we finished the small mountain of rice off in record time. It was that good.


No comments: