Friday, May 08, 2009

Where am I?

This past month has been extremely hectic for me. Flew to Boston via New York; onto Urbana-Champaign; drove to Chicago; back to Hong Kong via New York. Then onwards to Santiago, Chile via Toronto; back to Hong Kong via Toronto. And now I am in Xian. I had slept in two different hotels in Boston, then Champaign, Chicago, home, Santiago, home, and now Xian.

At one point, I woke up in a hotel room and wondered, for a few seconds, why my wife was not there. At another point, I woke up and wondered where I was and why there was a woman in my bed. Then I realized I was at home and she was my wife.

I am not cut out for this type of life. I wish I were at home now.


2 comments:

tabbycat said...

It reminds me of the time I spent 5 days locked in my dorm room studying for finals. I stocked up with enough food and was determined not to leave the room (or more precisely, that floor) until the exam. I even drew all the curtains so I wouldn't be tempted to go out.

After a while, your internal clock completely shifts and you have no sense of night and day. I woke up one day and the clock said it was 6 o'clock. This being winter in Providence, there's not much of a difference between 6am and 6pm. And I had no idea what day it was. I had to log into the school mainframe (this was back in the days of DOS and Windows 3.x) and type "date" to find out when it was.

That was a weird experience.

StephenC said...

I have never done that.

The only time I worked through the night was the day before submitting my PhD thesis. I was up all night in the lab editing it. In the morning I submitted it and then went home. I don't remember what I did that day.

I hate the feeling of not being in control.