Tuesday, January 26, 2010

由儉入奢易

Chris’ comment on the previous post on Salted Garoupas reminded me of the saying 由儉入奢易,由奢入儉難。

I lived for many years in upstate New York where it was quite difficult to get good seafood as we know them in Hong Kong. Later I moved to Toronto and then Ottawa. There were more fish available. But mostly fresh water fish, which are nowhere nearly as good as live ocean catch.

When I moved back to Hong Kong, I found myself in seafood heaven. There is so much to choose from. Not just live garoupas, but also ocean prawns, Pacific lobsters, Atlantic lobsters, giant mantis shrimps, geoducks, ocean crabs, fresh water crabs, scallops, giant clams, squids, cuttle fish, eels, abalone, ... It will be hard, if and when I have to move away from Hong Kong again.

It is certainly easy to go from eating frozen, bland fish fillets to eating live, ocean-caught garoupas. But it is much harder handling going the other way around.

In the same way, she who can handle adversity - particularly if she started out rich - is demonstrably strong. But he who has always been rich cannot be said to be strong - he has not been tested yet.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the conspiracy is: fed you the very best groupers, and then sent you to the American Midwest. Test of strength of character, my girl.

StephenC said...

No, no, no. There is certainly no conspiracy. It just seems that way. But my girl does have a lot of strength in character. :-)