Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Exhilarating rain and faith

I was running towards the TsimShaTsui Ferry, about 2 kilometers into my run, when I saw the rain coming from behind the Hong Kong Island.  The mountains on Hong Kong Island started to disappear into the rain.  Then the buildings half way up the mountains.  Then more and more, all within a minute or two.



At one point, the whole island was swallowed by the rain.  Leaving behind only the buildings right at the water’s edge, including the Exhibition Center.  It looked like the whole island consisted of tall buildings on a flat piece of land, like Manhattan in New York City.

The rain devoured the rest of the buildings, leaving only a faint outline of the exhibition Center.   Then the boats in the harbour started to disappear. 

Suddenly I realized it was my turn.  Should I stop and seek shelter?  Like the tourists on the promenade?  I was sweating profusely at that point.  So it was a choice between being soaked with sweat, or being soaked with sweat and rain.  It was an easy decision.  I decided to finish the remaining 8 km despite the rain. 

Oh, how exhilarating it was!  I pounded the pavement while the rain pounded me.  I was soaked from top to bottom.  I could feel the rain water sloshing in my shoes while I splashed the water in the puddles.  I don’t remember having so much fun splashing in the water since I was a kid.  The rain was actually a bit sweet.   I heard oo’s and ah’s from the tourists lining up under the shelters.  But I was enjoying myself so much I didn’t care.  At one point I took off my glasses and discovered I could see no worse, because the rain was so heavy.  My only worry was that I could fall into the harbour if I should slip. 

Then I remember telling my cancer stricken uncle about faith in God earlier in the day.  And his decision to commit to Jesus.  In fact, it was my wife who asked him whether he wanted to believe in Jesus, and he said yes.  I think she has more faith and courage than I do.  Then we prayed together.  So the rain came in good time, reminding us of the cleansing power of God.  Even my running shoes look cleaner and whiter after the rain now.  God moves in mysterious and powerful ways.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you're a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back someday. I want to encourage you continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!

Here is my blog post: what should i weigh