Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Moon-cake vs prunes


It is moon-cake season again.  A reasonable-quality moon cake costs about HK$50.  Other than the skin and the salted eggs, a moon-cake is filled mainly with a lotus seed paste.  According to a recipe provided by an old bakery, the filling is made up of ~43% lotus seed, 36% sugar and 21% oil.  No wonder it is very sweet, and unnaturally so.  If I had not eaten a lot of them when I was small, I probably wouldn’t like it.  But the image, the texture, and the taste had been seared so deep into my memory that there is no escape for me.


On the other hand, this plate of extra-large prunes weights about two pounds, and costs about the same as a moon-cake.  It is also very sweet, but naturally so.  It is expensive, but no more than the moon-cake.  If I have to choose, I would choose the prunes.  But I would rather have both. 




No comments: