Sunday, January 18, 2015

SoCo’s Children

On my way to a bookshop, I stumbled upon a photo exhibition.  I think what made me stop to look was photos of some young people in underprivileged situations.  It turned out to be a project of the Society for Community Organisation (SoCo) - an organization that I have heard some good things about.  I am glad that I stopped to look.  

There is a girl who came from Mainland China with her mother to look for her father, who turned them away.


There is another girl who came from Mainland China with her mother to look for her father, who also turned them away. 


There is a Nepalese boy who was born in Hong Kong, who struggled in learning Chinese, which became an obstacle in his education.  


There is this sister-brother pair who grew up in poverty.  The sister is now a university student in Taiwan, while the younger brother is a manual labourer. 

There are many others.  Not necessarily stories of triumph over adversity.  But all touching stories nonetheless.  SoCo and other organisations are working hard to help.  But they also need our help.  Are we willing?   




No comments: