Sunday, September 17, 2017

Diversifying Service-Learning

I am here in Galway to attend an international conference on the serious matter of Service-Learning at the National University of Ireland at Galway.  Somehow I ended up staying at a hotel on the touristy Quay Street, with my room right on top of a row of pubs and restaurants.  It was very hard to sleep until the din died down way past 2 am.  


In the morning, on the way to the university, I get to count the number of kegs of beer each pub consumes in just one evening.  

And to imagine how it feels to sleep in the street in near freezing temperatures.  Somehow, the site of my hotel seem especially apt for the purpose of my trip here. 


At the beautiful campus, we discuss staff development, measurement of impact, public scholarship, recognising engagement in promotion and tenure, …


In the closing session, the incoming chair of the organisation asked for input on diversification.  I raised three issues that I feel are important.


Firstly, there are many more females than males in service-learning, among both students and teachers.  What are the gender-based differences and impact? and how can the imbalance be addressed?

Secondly, much of the service involve social sciences disciplines.  Why are the so-called hard sciences and engineering disciplines not contributing?  Engineering exists to solve problems. How can we get the engineers to contribute more to tackle these social issues?

Thirdly, service-learning is dominated by the (North) Americans.  But the culture and political situation is very different in other communities.  For example, advocacy is considered favourably in USA.  But it is not considered so favourably in places like Hong Kong, and downright dangerous in places like China.  How should service-learning be practiced outside USA?

As a teacher, administrator and advocate in our university, these matters are of immediate and critical concern to me and my colleagues.  






No comments: